We are looking for volunteers in the local community to help us get Doncaster reading. We provide training for all our Literacy Champions and there are lots of ways you can get involved. There is no minimum commitment, and even the smallest actions can make a big difference.
What is a Literacy Champion?
Literacy Champions can be anyone from the local community who wants to inspire young people, and improve their life chances. They may be child minders, youth workers, sports coaches, students, or professionals, but they are all committed to tacking action on literacy.
What can you do as a Literacy Champion?
In the workplace
- Displaying Doncaster Stories posters in your workplace, and encourage colleagues and employees to become Literacy Champions
- Share campaign activity on your organisation’s social media channels, website, and in customer-facing communications
- Set up a ‘workplace lending library’ with a children’s section
- Open up your workplace with our Words for Work employability programme
In your community
- Volunteer at a local school, youth club, or care home to give reading support
- Distribute leaflets in your neighbourhood
- Create a book club or reading group and invite friends and family to get them reading
- Promote Doncaster Stories on your social media account
- Share photos of your favourite books or literacy quotes on your social media, and encourage your followers to do the same
- Join local initiatives such as Doncaster Look for a Book
- If you’re interested, or have any questions, we’d love to hear from you! Get in touch using the form below or send us an email at email@example.com